I’ve always considered my nail game to be on point, but my recent trip to Sally Beauty encouraged me to turn things up a notch. I recently made the pilgrimage to check out their new nail studio wall, and let me tell you—it’s a thing of beauty. The studio boasts over 750 shades and 150 nail care products, which basically makes it nail nirvana. I usually don’t spend too much time pondering the perfect shade, but with so many options I took my sweet time picking out the prettiest polishes I could get my hands on. Needless to say, I’ll be back a few times a month to add even more colors to my always-growing collection.
Feeling a little inspired by the Valentine’s day coming up, I decided on a few of my favorite girly shades and attempted some easy nail art. As someone who doesn’t consider herself to be super coordinated in the nail department (read: not coordinated at all), I always err on the side of pretty and simple. This fool-proof DIY with washi tape is my go-to for simple nail art designs (and it also works well for a DIY French manicure too!)
Here are 5 easy steps to get a perfectly polished nail art look in just a few minutes:
1. Gather your supplies from Sally Beauty’s new Nail Studio. You’ll need a bold base coat (preferably in something Vday-appropriate!), gold polish, and top coat to seal it all in.
2. Give nails two coats of your bright base shade. I wanted to use a cherry red polish that would look both seasonally appropriate and classic—how yummy is Nina Ultra Pro Polish in Cherri Berri?
3. Take a piece of washi tape and cut out a heart shape that’s small enough to fit the nail on your ring finger. I cheat by folding the washi tape in half to cut out the heart! Much easier than free-styling it.
4. Press on the tape and cover with gold glitter polish. I used Orly polish in Luxe. Give yourself about 10 minutes to let the nail polish dry.
5. Carefully remove the washi tape to reveal the heart. Then cover with a generous application of topcoat like Sealon Topcoat to make sure your polish stays for days.
But really, how cute are these hearts for Valentine’s day? Even if you’re not a lover of February 14, we can all get behind a little chic nail art to give yourself a little extra pep in your step. Any holiday nail art you’re planning to try? Let us know – we’re always down for trying a little something new!