Best Juice Cleanses to Detox Your Body
Clean beauty is not the only "clean" trend that has been booming over the past few years. With the rising popularity of the health and wellness revolution, "clean food" and "clean eating" are now familiar terms, describing a diet consisting of fresh whole foods that have been minimally processed and provide the maximum of nutritional benefits. One very prominent example of this phenomena is juice cleansing.
How Juice Cleanses Work
Juice cleanses are a form of diet that lasts anywhere from 1 to 7 days and consists of consuming solely cold-pressed juices - between 6 and 8 juices per day - made from a mix of nutrient-rich fruit and vegetables. Cold pressing refers to juicing, using a hydraulic press that uses extremely high pressure to extract the maximum amount of juice from fruits and vegetables without using any extra heat or oxygen as in the traditional pasteurization process so that no nutrients are lost.
While juice cleansing, make sure that you keep hydrating with water or herbal teas throughout the day as well.
Benefits of Juice Cleanses
Potential benefits include:
- detoxifying the body, flushing out any "nasties"
- introducing extra nutrients such as vitamins and minerals to the body as fruits and vegetables are rich in those
- improving the digestive system by introducing healthy enzymes to the gut
- weight loss as juices are low in calories
- boosting the immune system by getting rid of illness-causing bacteria and introducing "good" bacteria
- improving hydration
- reducing bloating
- boosting energy levels, for some this doesn't happen straight away and they feel the energizing effects only a week or two after the juice cleanse
When to Do a Juice Cleanse
While many opt to do a juice cleanse as a New Year's resolution once January rolls around, to offset the not-so-healthy feasting synonymous with the Christmas holidays, we think there's no better time than summer to do one of these when you want to double up on hydration and eat and drink all things light and refreshing to relieve you from the heat.
Luckily, you don't have to do all this by yourself, juicing away in the kitchen 6 to 8 times a day, as there are many companies that do the work for you, offering various juice cleanse programmes and delivering them to your doorstep. And we've rounded up 6 of those best juice cleanses for you to choose from and do this year.