Best Red Lipsticks for Fall
Kara, our resident red lipstick expert, has 80+ shades floating around her purse or the bottom of some drawer. What began as a teenage yearning to be like Marilyn Monroe has clearly become an obsession. Lucky us! Kara has kindly narrowed it down to reds she’s most excited to wear this fall.
1. Armani Rouge d’Armani Rouge 400 ($30) – If you’re looking for a perfect blue-based red that stays put and isn’t drying, a “Christmas red” if you will, then this is the one. It really is worth the money, and this is coming from a girl whose all-time favorite reds cost $1.99 from Wet & Wild.
2. Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in 8 Iconic Red ($24) – MUFE makes great red lipsticks and their latest launch had me in a frenzy. I had a swatch of this perfect cherry red on my hand for three days, no joke. This stuff does NOT kiss off. It’s mega-matte (the texture might turn you off; I’m getting used to it) but comes with a gloss attached. I obviously hate lip gloss so I don’t use that. If I’m working a long day at Len Druskin, I am probably wearing this.
3. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella ($24) – I LOVE THESE LIP PENCILS SO MUCH. They are foolproof, even if you have to buy that stupid six dollar NARS sharpener to use them. Cruella is femme fatale, pure devastation red. The Ava Gardner of reds. (I also recommend Damned and Dragon Girl.)
4. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow ($8) – This raspberry-red is a classic. I don’t feel comfortable in pink lipstick, so Cherries in the Snow is perfect for me.
5. MAC Amplified in Dubonnet ($16) – Do I consider Dubonnet a real red? Not really, to be honest. It’s brown-based, and generally I leave those for my auburn-haired mother. However, the deep lips shown on pretty much every fall runway won me over. It definitely makes blue eyes pop and would be lovely on darker skin tones.