June 8, 2011

See Bets Get Her Legs Waxed

After hearing an unnatural number of people gush about getting waxed at the European Wax Center, I had to go see what all the fuzz fuss was about. I’m a bit out of practice in the wax department, owing to my current commitment to laser hair removal (yes, it’s life-changing), but I still shave my legs so thought I’d subject them to the test. I went to the Minneapolis location, but there are more than a 200 EWCs around the country. I predict they’ll be on every major corner soon, attached to a Starbucks. First impressions: Neat, clean, nice, professional, well-priced thanks to these nifty wax passes, and—here’s the show-stopper—virtually painless. You kind of have to see it to believe it, so I made a video. Do enjoy the close-ups of my overgrowth.

P.S. Your first bikini, underarm, or brow wax at any EWC location is FREE! Twin Cities ladies: Tell them Elizabeth Dehn sent you! xo

June 8, 2011

See Bets Get Her Legs Waxed

18 Responses to “See Bets Get Her Legs Waxed”

1. Pat says:

So, how long did you go without shaving, how long will it last, and how much does it cost???
    I think I want to do this!!

2. Beauty Bets says:

The cost varies depending on the area, and the package you purchase. Lower legs max out at $32, which I’m told will last 2-3 weeks. Even after that, hair should be finer and need less frequent waxing over time.

3. Lindsay says:

I haaate shaving. EWC is great. I’m there every 4 weeks. Normally I like to support local salon/spas and not chains but this place is worth it. Rumors are saying the next TC location is Plymouth and there are talks of a 3rd.

4. Kate says:

!!! I totally had a bikini wax appointment today elsewhere that I cancelled to take advantage of their free offer! I’ll report back after 12:30 to tell how little (or how much) it hurts compared to normal.

Also, I’m super jealous of your lazer treatments. I always consider doing it when I see the daily deal, but am scared I’ll end up forking over way more money than advertized… how many treatments did it take to get rid of those suckers?

5. Beauty Bets says:

KATE! You will not be sorry!! I can’t wait for your (almost) full report.

As for the lasers, lots of lemons out there. I HAVE to tell you about this amazing new place in Edina, The Metropolitan. Tried theirs and it was literally painless. Plus, they promised me I would only need 6 treatments, unlike the other place i’ve been going to for 10-12 times. Even better, they are offering packages at 40% off right now! http://www.themonfrance.com/news/1/special-offers/
    DO IT!

6. Sally says:

I’m a laser removal gal myself, but am intrigued!

Also, you are too cute to bear. I adore you.

7. sarah von says:

Awe.some. You are my hero!

8. Reetsyburger says:

Waxing is the bomb, but it can be super expensive if you’re addicted, like me. One of the most cost-saving decisions I ever made was to buy my own wax pot and take some lessons from a friend who’s an esthetician. I just waxed my own and my husband’s brows last night again, for free!

9. Beauty Bets says:

Now THAT is what we need video footage of!! You are KILLING me! And, I love it.

10. Reetsyburger says:

Seriously! It’s easier and less painful than you’d think!

11. Mary B. says:

Your brows look amazing! where do you go/who do you see?

12. Beauty Bets says:

Thanks Mary! I owe it all to Christina at Blink in Minneapolis – she threads them. So much better than waxing, as it were. http://web.me.com/mcsnead/blinkforbeauty/HOME.html

13. fourbabes says:

The waxing looks great but I’m distracted by your fabulous eye makeup! your eyes just pop! What shadow, eyeliner, mascara do you have on?

14. Beauty Bets says:

Thanks! Bobbi Brown gel liner in espresso and Bone eyeshadow. My neutral, everyday combo. But I can’t take all the credit! You’re probably seeing my eyelash extensions from Jett Makeup & Lash Bar!

15. Kate says:

Bikini update:! As a disclaimer, I’ve discovered that It never feels good to have hair ripped from around your groin. Period. But this was probably one of the best bikini waxes I’ve had (and it was free!) Technically it was a bikini line, which means they don’t hone in on those more super sensitive areas, but as a gal who has THE MOST SENSITIVE SKIN IN THE WORLD! It was great. Often times the next day I’ll see bruising (none!) and I HATE having sticky wax hold on to parts of my undies for the remainder of the day, and that totally didn’t happen.

Did it still hurt? Yes, but not nearly as bad, everything is smooth and not sticky and just nice and tidy. This is not for girls wearing itty bitty teeny weenie bikinis, but I wear a more modest bottom anyway, so it was perfect for me! It will definitely be my go to place for having hair removed below the belt in the future!

16. Kate says:

one month later (almost)…. I’m fairly certain that a good majority of what was ripped “out” of the bikini zone was actually ripped “off”. Being of fair completion and light colored hair, I can usually get away with a bikini tidying session every 6 weeks (if not a tad longer). Having set up the “pool” in the backyard and having people coming over, I looked down yesterday and realized I needed to clean up the area a bit further, sadly with a razor. Today my bikini zone isn’t very happy with me… guess there is not such thing as someone touching you below the belt for “free”. ;)

17. Amanda says:

Going to the European Wax Center in Durham, NC tomorrow! Can’t wait!